Sometimes I feel like I’m still 19. And then I talk to a 19 year-old and realize, NO.
Don’t get me wrong, I am unceasingly grateful to be adding wisdom to my years (and vice versa). There is beauty and growth in each season of life, and I hope to hold on to it while it is my reality. But part of that is being able to take it all in stride, so without further ado…
Things that have made me feel old lately*:
- Receiving a graduation announcement from someone I used to baby-sit… When she was still in diapers.
- My friends are having babies on purpose.
- My little brother just finished his first year of pharmacy school.
- This work of art. Notably:
- #42: It’s been 25 years (!) of Full House.
- #40: Haha! Also: Saturday morning cartoons. And TGIF.
- #36: If you think about it, it’s kind of creepy. But still true.
- #18: No.
- #10: Clarissa Explains It All!
- Catching myself saying, “How is this year almost half over?”
- Had to inform the youngin’ cutting my hair that the song I was raving about that was playing in the studio was by Ace of Base. Also: I think “The Sign” was my first CD… Too embarrassed to mention my first casette tape.
- Being called “m’am.” I know being in the “south” is part of it, but it still freaks me out every time.
And to bring it all full circle… This. Search your Twitter handle (or mine: @cooktravelyoga) or the Wikipedia entry for “meditation,” and carry on from there.
*Apologies to my mom who probably has her own list, starting with “My daughter wrote this blog post…”
Feeling inspired today by this post. Everything is connected, and the best things stem from love…
Life is a circle.
Everything you do, everything you say, every choice you make, comes back around.
If you want to be rich, be generous. If you want to make friends, be friendly. If you want to be understood by others, take the time to truly understand them. If you want to be heard, listen.
If you want to live an interesting life, be interested the happenings around you. If you wish to truly learn and master a skill, study what you can and then teach someone else what you know.
If you long for peace, act in peace and harmony. If you want the world to change, start with the one in the mirror.
What you give is eventually what you get. Whatever it is you hope to achieve in this life, give it, nurture it, be it, and you will enjoy a lifetime filled with it many times over.
So February is already a quarter done. The shortest month of the year is quite a sneaky little minx. In an effort to get the most of the (sometimes dreary) February, here are some ways I plan to make it fab…
- Celebrate NUTELLA Day today! Clearly this is a very important holiday for me given my love for all things Nutella. Yum.
- Daydream about our CRUISE coming up in March! This will be especially fun to think of when the weather is chilly and blah (not a huge concern in Florida, but we do have our days).
- Share the LOVE. It can be as simple as saying “thank you,” surprising someone you love with their favorite treat, or sharing a random act of kindness with a stranger.
- Attend a NEW yoga class, workshop, or training. Something to spice up my practice and teaching.
- Get some new MUSIC for personal and class playlist enjoyment :)
- Eat more PRODUCE. I’ve fallen off the 10 servings a day wagon again (fail) and desperately need more greens in my life. New goal: Include produce in every meal!
- Put the SLOW COOKER to work more often. How amazing is it to come home to a delicious smelling and tasting meal that required minimal effort from you? Absolutely fantastic!
- Include more HEART OPENERS in my personal yoga practice.
- Daily MEDITATION. Even if it’s just 5 minutes, it counts!
- Enjoy wearing SCARVES and BOOTS while I can :)